Activities update – January 19, 2022
As of January 20, 2022 NVRC will begin opening fitness centres (weight rooms). Select locations will open on January 20 with more to follow on January 21, with all locations open by January 24.
For dates and hours of operation, refer to the facilities page. Advance registration is required to use a fitness centre (weight room) due to capacity limits, and customers can book up to 25 hours in advance of the time they wish to visit the fitness centre.
Book-a-visit (membership) fitness classes will also begin resuming from Thursday, January 20, 2022. Classes will be added as staff and spaces are confirmed. The fitness class schedule is online, registration is open now for classes starting Jan. 20. We will return to having registration for these book-a-visits start on Mondays the week before the class, (in the same way as we used to run registration).
Registered fitness and dance programs are also resuming from Thursday, January 20, 2022 and are being reintroduced as staff and spaces are confirmed. Capacity limits are in place. Larger spaces will be used where possible to provide the same number of participants in programs. Where this is not possible, spots are allocated based on who registered first, and a waitlist will be used for oversubscribed programs.
Fitness memberships will be reactivated from January 20, 2022. Members who do not wish to continue with their membership at this point are eligible for a pro-rated refund or can receive an account credit. Please call 604 987 7529 to arrange this.
Drop-in public swim and skate sessions are reduced to 50% capacity due to the new Public Health Order. Please plan to arrive early to avoid lineups.
Centennial Theatre is operating at 50% maximum capacity. At this time, all other NVRC programs will continue as scheduled.
Proof of Vaccination Required for all Activities*
Proof of vaccination is now required for all activities* in North Vancouver Recreation & Culture facilities including swimming for customers 12 years and older. Proof of vaccination is required for all activities including dropping off children inside facilities**, the use of washrooms, showers, change rooms and being a spectator.
* Except for children and youth programs and activities (under the age of 22 years). Note: Parents accompanying children in programs must show proof of vaccination.
** For parents who are unable to provide proof of vaccination when dropping off children at NVRC programs, NVRC staff will be available to escort children to their program/activity room. If parents have questions, please phone the NVRC facility front desk. View our Locations and Hours webpage for facility phone numbers.
- Please allow extra time to enter the facilities before your activity.
- As per the health order, NVRC staff are not able to make exceptions to the public health order and are not able to admit any customers who do not provide the required proof of vaccination for the applicable activities.
What to Bring
- BC residents 19 years and older, must show their BC Vaccine Card – either on your mobile phone or a paper printed version and,
- A piece of valid government photo ID (legible copies are acceptable), for example:
- B.C. driver's licence or BC Services Card
- Photo ID issued by another province or territory
People from other provinces or territories
- Provincially/territorially officially recognized vaccine record
- Valid government photo ID
- Proof of vaccination they used to enter Canada (like ArriveCAN)
Youth aged 12-18 years
- Youth aged 12 to 18 can carry their own BC Vaccine Card, or have a trusted adult carry it for them
- Youth are not required to show valid government photo ID
Programs and Sessions at Canlan Ice Sports North Shore
Proof of vaccination is required for all adults 19 years+ before entering Canlan Ice Sports North Shore for any reason.
Canlan Ice Sports North Shore age restriction notes:
- 11 years old and under – no requirement, can enter freely
- 12 – 18 years old – no requirement as long as they are only participating on ice and not visiting any other part of the facility*
- 12 – 18 years old – require passport but not photo ID if they are spectating, visiting the restaurant or visiting for any reason other than participating on ice
- 19+ years old – require passport and photo ID before entering facility for ANY reason.**
*Youth may be asked for their ID and passport if they appear over 19 years old. A polite response indicating their correct age will be all that will be required.
**Unvaccinated adults cannot access the facility with youth. These youth should come fully dressed and ready to participate.
If you have any questions regarding NVRC operations, please call our call centre at 604 987 7529 or call the NVRC facility you plan to visit. Please note NVRC staff are not able to make any exceptions regarding proof of vaccination, as per the public health order.
NVRC will continue to provide services and amenities to the community while following all public health orders to keep the community safe and healthy. We thank you for your patience as we work through this together.
Vaccine Passport FAQs
1. Are there any exemptions?
A. The public health order does not allow any exceptions for the activities listed above. NVRC staff cannot make exceptions to the health order for customers who do not provide proof of vaccination for the activities above. Proof of vaccination is not required for other activities.
2. Do I need to provide proof of vaccination if I am just dropping off a child?
A. Yes, if you wish to bring your child into a NVRC facility and/or watch a child participate in other activities, proof of vaccination is required.
3. Where can I find more information regarding the public health order
A. Visit the BC provincial government website has for more information on the PHO order on proof of vaccination
4. Does this apply to all NVRC facilities?
A. Yes. All NVRC facilities are included in the public health order
5. Does this apply to outdoor classes and activities?
A. No. This does not apply to outdoor classes, which are outside throughout the activity.
Face Coverings /Masks
As of October 12, 2021 face coverings/masks must now be worn in all NVRC facilities by all customers 5 years and older. Masks are required in all public indoor spaces by public health order, including lobbies, hallways, washrooms, fitness centres and program areas, except when swimming, engaging in physical activity or on the field of play in sports. Masks are encouraged for children aged 2 to 4 years in public settings.
NVRC Health & Safety Measures
Please view NVRC's health & safety measures before registering and participating in any of NVRC's programs or activities. If you would like further information please contact NVRC at 604-987-7529.
- Use the Find a program & Book a visit tool to view current options
The following activities have moved from pre-booking (Book-A-Visit) to drop-in only.
- Public swim, lane swimming, water walking
- Family skate, public skate
- Parent Participation Indoor Playtime
- Art studios (not including pottery studios)
- Certain JBCC family and seniors drop-ins
- Youth centres
The following activities are offered on a pre-registered Book-A-Visit basis:
- Fitness Centres
- Masters Swim
- Court bookings
- Sports (previously drop-in sports)
You can book a visit for these activities from 9am on Monday, one week before the session. When a statutory holiday falls on a Monday, registration for the following week is on Tuesday. You can do this online or by calling 604-987-7529.
Where to View Drop-in Schedules
The schedules and more details can be viewed in our registration system: Drop-In Schedules
Can’t make your pre-booked visit?
Please remember to cancel so others can sign up for the spot.
We know plans can change. So if you are unable to attend your pre-booked visit, we ask that you please cancel online as soon as you know you can’t attend. This will free up your spot for others who want to get active.
You can cancel a visit online and we ask that you cancel as early as possible (at least 24 hours in advance) so we can provide the spot to someone on the waitlist. Visit the registration support page to watch a how-to cancel video.