Check this page regularly for NVRC program updates, including: Calls for Artists, grants news, information sessions and public art opportunites. In addition the NVRC regularly publishes the following electronic newsletters with a focus on the arts.
Provides stories and information about arts and cultural activities happening all across the North Shore (published monthly)
Public Art eNews
Provides information and Calls for Artists relating to public art projects within the City and District of North Vancouver (published 4-5 times per year)
Centennial Theatre News
From local music, dance and theatre shows to film festivals and national touring productions, don't miss upcoming events at Centennial Theatre (published 4 times per year).
Sign up for these newsletters at https://www.nvrc.ca/notices-events-blog/newsletters
The Arts & Culture Grants managed and disbursed by NVRC recognize the value of arts and cultural organizations and the activities they provide in adding to the vibrancy and energy of community life. The grants represent an important financial investment in the artistic, creative and cultural community in North Vancouver and enable the production of quality experiences, events and festivals for our residents to enjoy and participate in. As part of the 2020 Early Intake, the following grants have been approved.
Programming & Project Assistance Grants
- Deep Cove Heritage Society: Heritage Programs – $ 3,250
- Griffin Art Projects: Gallery Exhibitions, Artist Residency Programs and Arts Education – $ 11,000
- Griffin Art Projects: Youth Mentorship Program – $ 1,250
- Hive Performance Collective: Hive 2020 – $ 4,250
- Lamondance: Dance Training Academy & Apprentice Dance Company – $ 9,000
- Musart Cultural Society: Cates Park Concert Series – $ 10,000
- Gordon & Marion Smith Foundation for Young Artists: Annual Exhibit, Music in the Gallery Programs and Arts Education – $ 8,500
- Vancouver Chamber Music Society: Matinee Series at Highlands United Church – $ 4,250
- Vancouver Inter-Cultural Orchestra: Concert Presentation, The Lioness of Iran – $ 3,000
Celebrations & Events Grants
- Blueridge Community Association: Blueridge Good Neighbour Day – $ 1,000
- North Shore Alliance Church: City Fest 2020 – $ 4,500
- Coastal Jazz & Blues Society: North Shore Jazz – $ 9,500
- Metro Vancouver Philippine Arts & Culture Exposition Society: Philippine Days – $ 5,000
Community Public Art Grant
- Carisbrooke Elementary School PAC: First Nations Carving (Thunderbird) & Supplementary Indigenous Education Program – $ 5,300
The North Vancouver Recreation & Culture Commission is seeking a volunteer from the community to fill an opening on the Arts & Culture Grants Review Committee.
The Grants Review Committee evaluates grant applications submitted to the Arts & Culture Grants program and – based on established criteria – it makes recommendations to the NVRC regarding the disbursement of grant monies. The City and District of North Vancouver’s Arts & Culture Grants Policies, adopted in 2015, guide the consideration, evaluation and recommendations of the Grants Review Committee.
The Grants Review Committee consists of five volunteer members, plus one member of the Commission. Community members are appointed on the basis of their experience and expertise across any of the following areas: visual and performing arts, community celebrations, events, community public art projects, and the local not-for-profit sector.
The current opening is for ONE position only. Preferably, the successful candidate will have experience in the visual, gallery or media arts.
Committee members meet approximately 4 to 6 times per year to review grant applications across three scheduled intakes. In addition to meetings, Committee members need to allocate “reading time” for the review of grant applications.
Terms of Reference
Committee members must be residents of North Vancouver. Committee Members are appointed for a two-year term; appointments can be extended to a maximum of two consecutive terms. Every effort is made to avoid conflict of interest between committee members and grant applicants. Should a direct or perceived conflict be identified, NVRC Conflict of Interest rules shall be applied.
Interested in Applying?
Please contact the Grants Program Officer, John Rice, by email at email@example.com or by phone at 604.983.6466 The deadline for applying to the Grants Committee is: Monday, September 16, 2019 at 4:30pm