In response to the start of Step 3 of BC’s Restart Plan, North Vancouver Recreation & Culture (NVRC) is working on a gradual restart for recreation and culture services. Step 3 reduces or eliminates many COVID-19 safety requirements, which allows us to increase our service levels and to reduce our safety requirements.
As of August 25, 2021 masks must now be worn in all NVRC facilities by all customers 12 years and older. Masks are required in all public indoor spaces by public health order, including lobbies, hallways, washrooms, fitness centres and program areas, except when exercising or engaging in physical activity. Masks are encouraged for children aged 2 to 12 years in public settings.
Programs and Visits
- Summer programs - We are increasing the number of participants in existing programs. Use the Find a program & Book a visit tool to view current options
- Current “Book a Visit” services (except fitness centre sessions) still require advance registration - this includes indoor and outdoor fitness classes, public swim, lane swimming, team sports sessions and court bookings. These ‘visits’ can be searched using the Find a program & Book a visit tool
- Visits can be booked from 9am on the Monday, one week before the session. When a statutory holiday falls on a Monday, registration for the following week is on Tuesdays. You can do this online or by calling 604-987-7529.
Starting September 7, 2021 the following activities will be moving from pre-booking (Book-A-Visit) to drop-in only.
These activities will no longer require advance registration and advance registration will not be available (no book-a-visit):
- Public swim, lane swimming, water walking
- Family skate, public skate
- Art studios (not including pottery studios)
- Certain JBCC family and seniors drop-ins
- Youth centres
All of our fitness centres are open and pre-registration is not required. This applies only to fitness centres (weight rooms).
Key changes are:
• No advance registration to book a fitness centre visit will be needed, registration will no longer be required one week before
• Customers with a membership will need to pick up their card from any of our front desks
• Membership cards must be scanned in order to enter the fitness centres
• Drop ins can be purchased at any of our front desks
• There are no time limits in the fitness centres
Note all other ‘visits’ currently still require advance registration, this includes indoor and outdoor fitness classes, public swim, lane swimming, team sports sessions and court bookings.
Swimming Pools Areas
All NVRC pools are open for pre-registered visits. Find out more details here.
We are currently working to bring back enough qualified aquatic staff to accommodate more swimmers and provide drop-in access. More information will be posted on the website and social media as details and dates are confirmed.
- Physical distancing is no longer required. As a result, swimmers may move freely around the pool areas and between pools
- Capacity for swimming pool visits will increase
- Toys can be used at public swims
- Kickboards/pull buoys can be borrowed
- Permitted bookings are based on the type, size and location of the rental
- Indoor rentals will accommodate 50 participants or 50% of the room occupancy limit, whichever is greater. Bookings will be accommodated based on available space
- Outdoor rentals and outdoor event permits are subject to participant limits and availability.
Public skating sessions and lessons are available at Ice Sports North Shore. View available sessions and lessons.
The pottery studios at Parkgate Community Centre and Delbrook Community Recreation Centre are partially open.
Studio time is available to customers who have experience in the studio and held a membership in 2020. These registrations are being done by phone to allow NVRC staff to confirm customers’ studio experience. Read more on our pottery page.
North Vancouver Tennis Centre
The North Vancouver Tennis Centre is now open. Adult and junior tennis programs are now available for registration and court bookings are available. Read more on the tennis programs page.
NVRC COVID-19 Health & Safety Measures
Please view NVRC's health & safety measures before registering and participating in any of NVRC's programs or activities. If you would like further information please contact NVRC at 604 987 7529.
NVRC Indoor Facility Rentals
More information and contact details are available on the indoor rentals page.
Programs provided by other organizations
Programs provided by North Shore Neighbourhood House at the John Braithwaite Community Centre are cancelled. For information, visit their website at www.nsnh.bc.ca.
Programs and childcare services provided by Parkgate Community Services Society at Parkgate Community Centre are cancelled. For information, visit their website at www.myparkgate.com.