While it’s true the only way to get physically fit is to exercise regularly, increasing your fitness knowledge will help you work out even more effectively. To encourage North Vancouver to become the fittest community in Canada, NVRC is offering 12 different fitness workshops this fall and winter (2019)! Registration required.
- Reduce barriers to physical activity and encourage public dialogue to demystify or answer exercise and fitness questions.
- Engage the community in various fitness topics, including the latest in exercise science. These workshops are not necessarily testing grounds for future classes; however, if a participant is interested in a fitness topic not yet presented, NVRC is open to suggestions for ideas for future workshops.
- Empower participants to think more critically about their fitness routines and challenge their fitness knowledge. Participants will leave with better understanding of how to work out safely and avoid exercises that might be harmful to them.
- Free to NVRC fitness members (non-members can pay a drop-in fee).
- Registration is required – be sure to register with the correct class code (see below).
- Some workshops are hands-on, so attend in fitness attire and bring a water bottle and your questions
- Your Back Health – Understanding “Neutral Posture” – learn the role of posture in exercise and activities of daily living
Thursday, September 12th 5:30-6:30pm at John Braithwaite Community Centre. Register now. #11458
- Top 5 Exercises to Include in Your Routine – five favourites, why we like them and how to do them correctly
Tuesday, September 17th 6:00-7:00pm at Harry Jerome Community Centre. Register now. #8687
- Plyometric Jump Progression (13 yrs+) – jumping is a fundamental movement skill and this workshop will focus on improving jump performance and decreasing injury
Monday, September 23rd 5:15-5:45pm at Parkgate Community Centre. Register now. #9647
Tuesday, January 28th 6:00-7:00pm at Parkgate Community Centre. Register starting Nov. 20, 2019. #10557
- Breaking Down the Core – learn the anatomy of the “core” and the importance of strengthening it
Tuesday, October 1st 7:15-8:15pm at Parkgate Community Centre. Register now. #9651
- 5 Common Exercise Mistakes and How to Avoid Them – identify the most common problems in training techniques and offer alternate ideas to avoid injury
Tuesday, October 29th 6:00-7:00pm at Harry Jerome Community Centre. Register now. #8688
- Vacation Workout – ways to maintain your fitness while travelling
Friday, November 8th 2:00-3:00pm at John Braithwaite Community Centre. Register now. #11461
- Strength Routines for Winter Sports – exercises to keep you safe this winter, plus a primer on concussions
Tuesday, November 26th 6:00-7:00pm at Harry Jerome Community Centre. (focus on strengthening exercises) Register now. #8690
Saturday, December 14th 1:00-2:00pm at Harry Jerome Community Centre. (focus on concussions) Register now. #14227
- Nutrition Made Easy – the simple science of what to eat and how much
Wednesday, December 4th 10:00-11:00am at John Braithwaite Community Centre. Register now. #11463
- Comfort and Joy – Restorative Yoga – immerse yourself in a 1-hour relaxation session enhanced with the magical scents of the season (peppermint, gingerbread, orange and cinnamon)
Sunday, December 8th 7:00-8:00pm at Ron Andrews Community Recreation Centre. Register now. #10523
- Breaking Down the TRX – learn the key 6 to 8 basic TRX exercises for home or class
Thursday, January 16th 7:30-8:30pm at Ron Andrews Community Recreation Centre. Register starting Nov. 20, 2019. #10533
- Healthy Heart Blood Pressure Check – celebrate Heart Month by getting your blood pressure checked by an Exercise Specialist and ask your heart-healthy questions
Sunday, February 9th 10:30-11:30am at Ron Andrews Community Recreation Centre. Register starting Nov. 20, 2019. #10542
- Secrets of Strength Training – learn how your muscles grow and exercise techniques that will boost growth and overall strength
Tuesday, March 3rd 6:00-7:00pm at Harry Jerome Community Centre. Register starting Nov. 20, 2019. #810575
Wiley is a long-time North Vancouver resident. She works as a technical writer and is the current newsletter editor for the North Shore Writers’ Association. She spends her free time feeding her twin passions of creative writing and hiking. She recently discovered a potential third passion - the pottery studio at the Delbrook Community Recreation Centre.