Check out these great ways to get and stay fit (and play) outside!
1. Go for a hike with the Trail Trekkers Hiking Group on Wednesday mornings 9:30-11:30am, Wednesday evenings 6:45-8:45pm or on Friday mornings 9:30-11:30am. View the Trail Trekkers schedule. All groups meet at Delbrook Community Recreation Centre. It’s free with your Fitness Membership or just pay a fitness drop-in.
2. Organize a neighbourhood PLAY PICNIC and play all your favourite childhood games. Try Red Rover, simple tag, relay races, sack races, hula hoop competitions and more. Check out this link for more ideas.
3. Dust off the old racquet and PLAY TENNIS at one of the many outdoor tennis courts in North Vancouver.
4. Drop in on the free outdoor Yoga class - Seaside Yoga at Cates Deck at the Shipyards in Lower Lonsdale
on Mondays (Jul 9 - Aug 27) from 6:00 to 7:00pm. Or you can start your day off right at the free outdoor Yoga class in Deep Cove with Seaside Yoga at Panorama Park (stage area) on Tuesdays (Jul 10 - Aug 7) from 6:15 to 7:15am.
5. Dip your paddle and go KAYAKING out on the ocean. In Deep Cove you can rent a one-person or two-person kayak and enjoy the calm, protected waters. You can also learn the hottest trend in water sports and try PADDLE BOARDING where you stand up and paddle on the water. It’s a great work out for core muscles and a fun way to play on the water.
7. Walk to a Live & Local Concerts & Culture Series event in your neighbourhood (and then dance and play when you are there!). North Vancouver Recreation & Culture hosts Concert Stages on Fridays @ 7pm in Lynn Valley Village, Edgemont Village and Panorama Park in Deep Cove and Culture Stages at Lynn Valley Village, Parkgate Village Plaza, and Civic Plaza. See our Live & Local page for details.
8. Go for a refreshing swim in the ocean in Deep Cove at the beach at Panorama Park.
9. Drop in to the free Tai Chi class outside City Hall at the Civic Plaza on Tuesdays July 10, 17 & 24. Learn Tai Chi-style exercises, stances, and meditations that improve flexibility, strength and peace of mind.
10. Get on your BIKE and go for a ride in your neighbourhood. Or rent a bicycle built for two and tour around Stanley Park for spectacular views.
11. Discover the joys and health benefits of GARDENING. It provides great opportunities to stretch and do yoga moves to keep you limber and take care of your back while out in the garden.
12. Play a game of CAPTURE THE FLAG – check out the rules here.
13. Create your own FITNESS SCAVENGER HUNT. Map out a route, highlight landmarks (light post, park bench, and sign) and plan 1 exercise at each landmark (sit ups, squat jumps, burpees). Do 10 reps at each place you stop!
15. Pick up your inline skates (can you say ROLLERBLADES?) and glide down the long paths at the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve in North Vancouver.
16. Burn the most calories by going for a RUN – 600 calories an hour. Check out the outdoor tracks at Mahon Park and Memorial (across from Harry Jerome Community Recreation Centre) or run through some of the great trails on the Shore.
17. Join a WALKING GROUP. Check out the many walking groups listed on our website.
19. Go for a JOG on the Spirit Trail in the City of North Vancouver and stop and take in the beauty and history at the Aboriginal Pavilion.
20. Explore the dark on a summer’s night with a game of FLASHLIGHT TAG. It’s a little bit like hide and seek – when the light hits