Congratulations! By deciding to start or re-start a fitness program, you've taken the first step on your way to a healthier lifestyle. And we're here to help.
Physical activity can reduce your risk of chronic disease, improve your balance and coordination, help you lose weight — even improve your sleep habits and self-esteem. And you can do it in just four steps:
STEP 1. Assess your fitness level
Assessing your current fitness level allows you to know your baseline and measure your progress. At North Vancouver Recreation & Culture, our fitness professionals can guide you through a fitness assessment at any of our Community Fitness Centres. Click here for more info.
STEP 2. Design your fitness program
A well designed plan will help you stick to your fitness program:
- Set your fitness goals.
- Create a balanced routine.
- Most adults should aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity — or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity — a week. Adults also need two or more days of strength training a week.
- Go at your own pace.
- Build activity into your daily routine.
- Plan to include different activities and avoid boredom.
- Allow time for recovery.
- Put your plan on paper - it will help you stay on track.
We offer a Get Started Session where a trainer will help you develop a plan to meet your health and fitness goals. They will discuss what you need, whether it's goal-setting, nutrition, weight management, or conditioning, and take you through the strength and cardio machines in our fitness centres. Click here for more info.
STEP 3. Start your program
Now you're ready for action. As you begin your fitness program, keep these tips in mind:
- Ensure you have the right athletic shoes for your fitness activity
- Start slowly and build up gradually
- Listen to your body – let your body guide you and take a break if you feel pain, shortness of breath, dizziness or nausea. If it persists, see your doctor.
- Want the support of a personal trainer? We offer a range of personal training services.
STEP 4. Monitor your progress
Retake your personal fitness assessment six weeks after you start your program and then again every three to six months. If you lose motivation, set new goals or try a new activity. Exercising with a friend or taking a class at a fitness center may help, too.
For more information on North Vancouver Recreation & Culture's fitness programs and services, click here.
Note: NVRC personal training services comply with all current COVID-19 safety protocols.