This August 5th is BC Day and a long weekend for most of us. As you enjoy some time off with family and friends, take a moment to reflect on the beauty and diversity of our province.
- Live & Local Concert Series – catch a free evening, outdoor concert on Friday, August 2nd, in Deep Cove, Lynn Valley or Edgemont Village! For a listing of concerts, click here.
- Harmony Arts Festival in West Vancouver – from August 2 – 11, this free and family-friendly festival is held at Ambleside with many art exhibits, live music and outdoor movies. For festival info, click here.
- Celebration of Light Fireworks at English Bay Beach – this year, the three countries displaying their pyrotechnical prowess will be India (July 27), Canada (July 31) and Croatia (August 3). For best places to watch the fireworks, click here.
- Powell Street Festival – August 3 – 4, this free festival celebrates Japanese-Canadian culture and heritage with art and cultural displays, Japanese foods, Taiko drumming, tea ceremonies, bonsai demos and ikebana flower-arranging workshops. For more info, click here.
- Squamish Days Festival – from August 1 – 5, this is a community event featuring logging industry-related activities, a chair carving contest and bed races throughout town. For more info, click here.
- White Rock Sea Festival – August 3 – 4, this free event includes children’s activities, fireworks, a torchlight parade and live entertainment. For more info, click here.
- Tsawwassen Sun Festival – from August 2 – 5, this family-friendly festival includes a pancake breakfast, local parade, car show, Kids’ Fun Zone and marketplace. For more info, click here.
Wiley is a long-time North Vancouver resident. She works as a technical writer and is the current newsletter editor for the North Shore Writers’ Association. She spends her free time feeding her twin passions of creative writing and hiking. She recently discovered a potential third passion - the pottery studio at the Delbrook Community Recreation Centre.