NVRC helps parents make the best choice for Summer Camps
North Vancouver, B.C. – Summer is almost here and parents are making plans for keeping their kids active in summer camps. With all the choices now available, it’s important that parents take the time to research which camp is best for their children.
Here is a list of things to consider when choosing a summer camp:
- Deal with a reputable organization – one that has been in business for many years.
- Ensure the organization follows safe hiring procedures such as Criminal Record Checks and Reference checks.
- Inquire into the organization’s Child Abuse Policy and Discipline Policy.
- Ensure the staff is trained in First Aid/CPR, and have direct experience working with children.
- Inquire about the ratio between leaders and children, and the role of volunteers in supervising the camp.
- Makes sure the program plan matches the interests of your child. This is your child’s summer so make sure it’s fun for them!
- Get a copy of the weekly and daily activity plans, which should highlight the out‐trips, crafts and activities during the camp.
- Involve your child in selecting the right camp.
- Pick a program in your neighbourhood (where possible) so that your child can make lasting friendships.
- Check out what the facilities offer. Look for facilities with lots of variety.
- Select a camp with a high profile in the community – ask your neighbours and your children’s friends for references.
- Select a camp where your child’s health and comfort is taken into consideration – kids should have indoor/outdoor activity and water activities to ensure they remain cool throughout the sunny weather.
- Find a camp that meets your needs and that offers before and after care programs to ensure you are not rushed in picking up and dropping off your child.
When sending your child to camp, don’t forget the sunscreen, water bottle, hat, bathing suit, extra clothes, lots of snacks and a bag lunch!
The North Vancouver Recreation Commission offers a great variety of exciting camps for kids of all ages. For pre‐school to school age camps, from art camps to sports camps, we offer the best selection, the best value and the most fun at our daily, weekly, full or part‐time daycamps. Summer camp registration starts Wednesday, May 21st @ 7:00am. For more information call 604‐987‐Play (7529) or check out northvanrec.com.
For more information, contact:
Anne Rodgers, Communications Specialist, North Vancouver Recreation & Culture Commission
T: 604‐983‐6346 E: [email protected]
NOTE: photos of children in summer camps are available.