The City of North Vancouver is building a new Harry Jerome Community Recreation Centre (HJCRC) in the heart of Central Lonsdale. The new HJCRC is anticipated to open in 2025 and will be located across the street from the existing facility, on the north side of East 23rd Street between Lonsdale Avenue and St. Georges Avenue.
The new HJCRC embraces the City’s vision of A Healthy City for All, creating a welcoming, vibrant, social heart of the community. Focused on physical and mental health, wellness, inclusion and diversity, the new HJCRC will create a barrier-free, accessible space for everyone to enjoy.
What will be included in the new community recreation centre?
The new community recreation centre will be home to a wide range of new and improved recreational, cultural and green space improvements including:
- community atrium and gathering areas
- ice arena with seating for 500 spectators
- significantly more aquatic space
- indoor and outdoor fitness spaces
- full-size gymnasium
- numerous multipurpose spaces
- preschool and youth spaces
- childcare programming;
- outdoor active/passive areas
- art and cultural space
- community kitchen
- new skate park
- nature play area
- a multi-activity court
The existing Harry Jerome Community Recreation Centre and Memorial Community Recreation Centre will close at the end of December 2021 in order to allow the redevelopment of the Harry Jerome neighbourhood lands to begin. Construction of the new HJCRC will begin in 2022. The Mickey McDougall Community Recreation Centre will also close and be repurposed as the new home of Flicka Gymnastics in early 2022.
As the replacement of the facility is a significant community project, leasing the land where the existing recreation centre is located—also referred to as the Neighbourhood Lands or Lonsdale Square—will help pay for the new Harry Jerome Community Recreation Centre (HJCRC). This allows the City to finance the new HJCRC up-front, mitigating the financial risk associated with such a large project. The new HJCRC is on track to start construction mid-2022, with project completion anticipated for 2025.
We recognize that the closure of the current Harry Jerome recreation centre will impact many recreation groups and users and appreciate the community’s cooperation. City and NVRCC staff are working closely with users and rental groups to relocate activities and programs as much as possible.
North Vancouver Recreation and Culture (NVRC) is working hard to relocate priority programming to other facilities, similar to the process used during the construction of Delbrook Community Recreation Centre. NVRC staff are assessing capacity at other community recreation centres; however, due to limited facility space, not all programming will be relocated.
Starting in 2022 and throughout the next few years while the new Harry Jerome Community Recreation Centre is being built, recreation users will be able to access recreation and culture programs and services at NVRC’s other community recreation centres in North Vancouver including:
• Delbrook Community Recreation Centre (swimming, fitness, sports, arts, pottery and more)
• John Braithwaite Community Centre (fitness, sports, arts and more)
• Karen Magnussen Community Recreation Centre (swimming, skating, fitness and more)
• Lions Gate Community Recreation Centre – opening in fall 2021 (fitness, sports, arts and more)
• North Vancouver Tennis Centre (indoor tennis)
• Parkgate Community Centre (fitness, sports, arts, pottery and more)
• Ron Andrews Community Recreation Centre (swimming, fitness, sports, arts and more)
For more detailed information about each community recreation centre, click here.