We provide a range of swimming opportunities including swim lessons for all ages and abilities.
- Learn to swim group and private lessons
- Aquatic leadership and lifesaving (train to be a swim instructor and lifeguard)
- Lane swimming for recreation and fitness
- Public swims
- Aquafit classes
- Masters Swim
Safety During COVID-19
Advance registration is required to visit any facility for swimming and all other activities. Register online or by calling 604-987-7529.
Lane swimming and public swimming are available, however, advanced registration is required; we cannot accept drop-ins. Registration is available on the Monday, one week before the session and can be done online or by calling 604-987-7529.
|2021 Single Admission Fees|
|Children under 3yrs||Free|
|Student (19-64yrs with valid student ID)||$4.84|
|Seniors (65yrs & older)||$4.84|
|Family*||$3.21 per person ($6.42 min)|
All admission prices include tax. * Family refers to one or two adults of the same household with their children or youth
Can’t make your pre-booked visit? Please remember to cancel so others can sign up for the spot.
We know plans can change. So if you are unable to attend your pre-booked visits for fitness centres, fitness classes, swimming and skating, we ask that you please cancel online as soon as you know you can’t attend. This will free up your spot for others who want to get active.
Recently, we have seen an increase in customers not showing up for their visit AND we have more people going on the wait-list trying to get a spot. If everyone is considerate and cancels their unwanted visits, we can serve more people and there will be more space for you when you want to book!
Thanks for your help in ensuring everyone can stay active!
You can cancel a visit online and we ask that you cancel as early as possible (at least 24 hours in advance) so we can provide the spot to someone on the waitlist. Visit the registration support page to watch a how-to cancel video.
Registration for swimming lessons and aquatic leadership programs can be done online or by calling 604-987-7529.
Important Lesson Info
Swim lessons for Preschool Tiny Tots 1-5 and School Age I Can Swim Stage 1-2A will be parent participation. A parent must attend the lesson and remain within an arm’s reach of their child in the water to support the lesson participant. NVRC swim instructors will guide the parent and child through the lesson, but will practice physical distancing
Your health and safety is our top priority. Please take note of the following:
- Change rooms are not available so please arrive in your swimsuit and leave in your swimsuit.
- You will be allocated a spot on the pool deck to store your bag/towel/clothes.
- The water fountains remain closed so please come with a full water bottle if needed
- Shoes must be removed at the entrance and cannot be worn on the deck – please keep your shoes with your belongings in the designated areas
- No lockers are available at this time, so please leave your valuables at home
- The hot tub, steam room and sauna will remain closed during this phase of restarting pools
- The diving boards, slides, climbing wall, rope swing and wave machine are operational at certain swims.
- We ask that you arrive no earlier than 10 minutes before your scheduled time, and wait at the check in sign located at the designated entrance
- Hand sanitizer is provided and must be used upon entry and exit
- Safe physical distancing requirements must be followed
- Leave promptly after your registered time so the facility is safe and ready for the next group
- No spectators for any activities, including lessons and rentals
- No public equipment is available for use at this time
Please speak to a staff member if you have any questions or concerns.
10/20 Swim & Skate Passes
New 10/20 passes are currently not for sale as they are difficult to use for customers with current procedures. If you have a 10/20 swimming pass please call 604 987 7529 and a credit for the remaining visits will be credited to your account.
Please note: Due to COVID-19 safety measures, Tiny Tots 1-5 are parent participation.
Our early years swim lessons are designed to focus on fundamental movement skills, stroke progressions, safety education and fun in the pool. View Programs and descriptions
Please note: Due to COVID-19 safety measures, I Can Swim Stage 1-2A are parent participation.
School aged children (ages 5 - 12) can start or continue developing their swimming skills with NVRC's Swim lessons and NVRC Swim Academy. View Programs and descriptions
Swimming requires learning new skills
There are a lot of technical skills to master when learning how to swim. Not all participants of the same age are at the same stage of development. They have to be physically, cognitively and emotionally ready to learn a skill. This is why many children will need to take a level more than once to learn and master a new skill.
NVRC Swim Adademy
This program offers swimmers guidance through a swim
workout emphasizing skill, stroke improvement and swim endurance.
1.0 - 45min classes for 4-7yr olds who have completed Tiny Tots 5 or Swim Stage 1.
2.0 - 1hr sessions 2-3 times a week for 6-14yr olds who have completed NVRC Swim Academy 1.0 or Swim Stage 2B.
3.0 - 1hr sessions 2-3 times a week for 6-14yr olds who have completed NVRC Swim Academy 2.0 or Swim Stage 3.
We offer adapted swimming lessons for children, youth and adults who have physical or developmental disabilities, or other support considerations. Classes are low-ratio and are offered at our four aquatic facilities. We encourage participation in our group lessons but if you feel that adapted lessons are the right fit for you or your family member, or it has been recommended by an aquatic staff member, then please contact the Inclusion Programmer prior to your / their first lesson 604-983-6415. There is a limit of one registration per cycle. Please see the swimming class listings for specific days and times.
Practice makes perfect! Here are three simple tips on how you can help your child practice and improve their swimming skill:
- Take your kids to public swim sessions and have fun with them in the pool
- Ask them to show you what they learned in class (and watch them practice!)
- Practice swimming with them if you are able.
Want more personalized instruction? Whether you are a beginner swimmer, wanting to improve your stroke, or training for a triathalon, our private and semi-private 30-minute lessons can help you achieve your goals. Private lessons are available at the following pools:
Looking for summer private swim lessons? Log in to your account in our new registration system to view the available lessons.
|Semi Private - 2 participants (45mins)||$39.38 each participant|
Are you or your child passionate about swimming? The North Shore is home to six community swim clubs that offer training in competitive swimming, diving and waterpolo:
How to Become a Swim Instructor & Lifeguard with the NVRC
North Vancouver Recreation & Culture offers all the courses you need to qualify to teach swimming and be a lifeguard. Both swim instruction and lifeguarding certifications are needed in order to be employed at our pools.
All courses require 100% attendance. Withdrawals must be made at least 8 days before the start of a course to receive a full refund. Many of these courses require re-certification - please see certification chart below.
Please Take the Following Courses in Order:
- Bronze Star (optional) - pre-requisite: 12yrs of age
- Bronze Medallion - pre-requisite: 13yrs of age or Bronze Star
- Bronze Cross - includes CPR 'C'. pre-requisite: Bronze Medallion
- Standard First Aid (SFA) - includes CPR 'C - pre-requisite: 15yrs of age
- National Lifeguard Program (NLP) - pre-requisite: 16yrs of age, Bronze Cross and AEC or SFA
- Water Safety Instructor Module 1 (WSI 1) - pre-requisite: 15yrs of age and Swim Stage 3 or equivalent
- Water Safety Instructor Module 2 (WSI 2) - pre-requisite: WSI 1
- Swim Instructor Update with High Five - pre-requisite: Bronze Cross and WSI 2
- Lifesaving Instructor (LSI) - pre-requisite: 16yrs of age and Bronze Cross
|Standard First Aid||Every 3 years or if you are employed as a lifeguard, every 2 years|
|CPR 'C' Certificate||Every 3 years or if you are employed as a lifeguard, every 1 year|
|NLP Pool Option||Every second year|
|NLP Waterfront Option (optional)||Every second year|
Learn more about careers in lifeguarding by visiting the Lifesaving Society website.
|Certification Required||To Teach||Re-certification Required|
|Lifesaving Instructor||Canadian Swim Patrol
|Every second year|
|Water Safety Instructor||Red Cross Program||Every second year|
|Swim Instructor Update||School-age Learn to Swim program||Every year through professional development opportunities|
To find out more about becoming a lifeguard or swim instructor, talk to the aquatic staff at one of the NVRC pools or contact Michelle Jones at 604-983-6541 or by email.