We provide a range of swimming opportunities including swim lessons for all ages and abilities.
Preschool Learn to Swim Program
Our preschool swim lessons are designed to focus on fundamental movement skills, stroke progressions, safety education and fun in the pool. View Programs
- Parent Participation 30 minute lessons are designed to introduce your child to the water and teach safety in and around the pool
- On My Own 30 minute lessons are designed to teach fundamental movement skills in swimming. The basics of the four swimming strokes (front crawl, backstroke, breastroke and butterfly are introduced as well as safety around the pool
- On My Own 45 minute lessons are designed to add stroke technique to fundamental movement skills. Endurance and safety in and around the pool are also taught.
I Can Swim and NVRC Swim Academy
School aged children (ages 5 - 12) can start or continue developing their swimming skills with NVRC's I Can Swim lessons and NVRC Swim Academy. View Programs
What Makes I Can Swim Different?
Experience based on a learner-centered developmentally appropriate approach
Early introduction of the four swimming strokes; getting kids to swim right from the start
Continuous improvement focusing on water safety, mastery and confidence in the pool
Continuous recognition of achievements rather than a pass/fail approach
Advancement depends on frequency of lessons and how often a child practices skills
NVRC Swim Academy
This program offers swimmers guidance through a swim workout emphasizing skill, stroke improvement and swim endurance. New participants should contact the Aquatic Supervisor at the facility they wish to participate at to arrange an assessment before registration. For Harry Jerome, call 604-983-6429. For Ron Andrews, call 604-983-6506.
We offer adapted swimming lessons for children, youth and adults who have physical or developmental disabilities, or other support considerations. Classes are low-ratio and are offered at our four aquatic facilities. We encourage participation in our group lessons but if you feel that adapted lessons are the right fit for you or your family member, or it has been recommended by an aquatic staff member, then please contact the Inclusion Programmer prior to your / their first lesson 604-983-6415. There is a limit of one registration per cycle. Please see the Leisure Guide for specific dates and locations.
Practice makes perfect! Here are three simple tips on how you can help your child practice and improve their swimming skill:
- Take your kids to public swims and have fun with them in the pool
- Ask them to show you what they learned in class (and watch them practice!)
- Practice swimming with them if you are able.
Want more personalized instruction? Whether you are a beginner swimmer, wanting to improve your stroke, or training for a triathalon, our private and semi-private 30-minute lessons can help you achieve your goals. For more information, contact the facility you would like to take lessons at:
|Single Lesson||Package of 5 Lessons|
|Child Private (1/2 hour)||$30||$135|
|Adult Private (1/2 hour)||$31.50||$141.75|
|Child Semi Private - 2 Children (1/2 hour)||$22.50 each child||$101.25 each child|
|Adult Semi Private - 2 Adults (1/2 hour)||$23.63 each adult||$106.34 each adult|
Are you or your child passionate about swimming? The North Shore is home to six community swim clubs that offer training in competitive swimming, diving and waterpolo:
How to Become a Swim Instructor & Lifeguard with the NVRC
North Vancouver Recreation & Culture offers all the courses you need to qualify to teach swimming and be a lifeguard. Both swim instruction and lifeguarding certifications are needed in order to be employed at our pools.
All courses require 100% attendance. Withdrawals must be made at least 7 days before the start of a course to receive a full refund. Many of these courses require re-certification - please see certification chart below.
Please Take the Following Courses in Order:
- Bronze Star (optional) - pre-requisite: 12yrs of age
- Bronze Medallion - pre-requisite: 13yrs of age or Bronze Star
- Bronze Cross - includes CPR 'C'. pre-requisite: Bronze Medallion
- Aquatic Emergency Care (AEC) - pre-requisite: 14yrs of age and Bronze Medallion or Standard First Aid (SFA) - includes CPR 'C - pre-requisite: 15yrs of age
- National Lifeguard Program (NLP) - pre-requisite: 16yrs of age, Bronze Cross and AEC or SFA
- Water Safety Instructor Certification (WSI) - pre-requisite: 15yrs of age and I Can Swim Stage 3 or equivalent
- I Can Swim Update with High Five - pre-requisite: Bronze Cross and WSI
- Lifesaving Instructor (LSI) - pre-requisite: 16yrs of age and Bronze Cross
|Standard First Aid OR Aquatic Emergency Care||Every 3 years or if you are employed as a lifeguard, every 2 years|
|CPR 'C' Certificate||Every 3 years or if you are employed as a lifeguard, every 1 year|
|NLP Pool Option||Every second year|
|NLP Waterfront Option (optional)||Every second year|
Learn more about careers in lifeguarding by visiting the Lifesaving Society website.
|Certification Required||To Teach||Re-certification Required|
|Lifesaving Instructor||Canadian Swim Patrol
|Every second year|
|Water Safety Instructor||Red Cross Program||Every second year|
|I Can Swim Update||I Can Swim Program||Every year through professional development opportunities|
To find out more about becoming a lifeguard or swim instructor, talk to the aquatic staff at one of the NVRC pools or contact Michelle Jones at 604-983-6541 or by email.