Swim Instructor & Lifeguard, Tennis Instructor, Children's Program Instructor & Fitness Instructor
Whether you're interested in a career in recreation or just want to upgrade your skills, North Vancouver Recreation and Culture can help you get there.
We offer certification courses in:
- Swimming Instruction & Lifeguarding View programs
- Tennis Instructor Certification (Tennis Canada, Tennis BC)
- High Five: Principles of Healthy Child Development
Interested in becoming a certified Fitness Instructor? We recognize a number of certifications including British Columbia Recreation & Parks Association (BCRPA) courses. Visit their website for information.
How to Become a Swim Instructor & Lifeguard with the NVRC
North Vancouver Recreation & Culture offers all the courses you need to qualify to teach swimming and be a lifeguard. Both swim instruction and lifeguarding certifications are needed in order to be employed at our pools.
All courses require 100% attendance. Withdrawals must be made at least 8 days before the start of a course to receive a full refund. Many of these courses require re-certification - please see certification chart below.
Please Take the Following Courses in Order:
- Bronze Star (optional) - pre-requisite: 12yrs of age
- Bronze Medallion - pre-requisite: 13yrs of age or Bronze Star
- Bronze Cross - includes CPR 'C'. pre-requisite: Bronze Medallion
- Standard First Aid (SFA) - includes CPR 'C - pre-requisite: 15yrs of age
- National Lifeguard Program (NLP) - pre-requisite: 16yrs of age, Bronze Cross and SFA
- Water Safety Instructor Module 1 (WSI 1) - pre-requisite: 15yrs of age and Swim Stage 3 or equivalent
- Water Safety Instructor Module 2 (WSI 2) - pre-requisite: WSI 1
- Swim Instructor Update with High Five - pre-requisite: Bronze Cross and WSI
- Lifesaving Instructor (LSI) - pre-requisite: 16yrs of age and Bronze Cross
|Standard First Aid OR Aquatic Emergency Care||Every 3 years or if you are employed as a lifeguard, every 2 years|
|CPR 'C' Certificate||Every 3 years or if you are employed as a lifeguard, every 1 year|
|NLP Pool Option||Every second year|
|NLP Waterfront Option (optional)||Every second year|
Learn more about careers in lifeguarding by visiting the Lifesaving Society website.
|To Teach||Re-certification Required|
|Lifesaving Instructor||Canadian Swim Patrol
|Every second year|
|Water Safety Instructor||Red Cross Program||Every second year|
|Swim Instructor Update||School Age Learn to Swim Program||Every year through professional development opportunities|
To find out more about becoming a lifeguard or swim instructor, talk to the aquatic staff at one of the NVRC pools or contact Michelle Jones at 604-983-6541 or by email.
Become a Tennis Coach
Tennis Canada has a comprehensive Instructor Certification Program.
Tennis BC offers the first level of training for the Instructor certification. The Instructor Program only takes two weekends to complete, and certifies you to teach group lessons for level 1.0 to 2.5 players in a park/recreation department or as a seasonal club pro. You will learn how to implement pre-planned content and how to run cooperative drills on one to three courts. For more information or to register, visit Tennis BC's website, call 604-737-3086.
Working with children in recreation is a rewarding and fun experience. North Vancouver Recreation & Culture is always looking for enthusiastic and skilled children's instructors.
Most children's program instructors gain experience volunteering with NVRC in programs and daycamps. It is also recommended that candidates be certified in High Five and First Aid.