NVRC offers all the courses you need to qualify to teach swimming and be a lifeguard. Both swim instruction and lifeguarding certifications are needed in order to be employed at our pools. All courses require 100% attendance. Withdrawals must be made at least eight days before the start of a course to receive a full refund. Many of these courses require re-certification - please see certification chart below.
Please take the following courses in order:
- Bronze Star (optional) - pre-requisite: 12 years of age
- Bronze Medallion - pre-requisite: 13 years of age or Bronze Star
- Bronze Cross (includes CPR-C) - pre-requisite: Bronze Medallion
- Standard First Aid - includes CPR-C - pre-requisite: 15 years of age
- National Lifeguard Pool Option - pre-requisite: 15 years of age, Bronze Cross and Standard First Aid
- Lifesaving Instructor - pre-requisite: 16 years of age, Bronze Cross
- Swim Instructor - pre-requisite: 15 years of age, Bronze Cross
NVRC offers Swim Instructor and Lifesaving Instructor together as one course - click the 'Register online' button below to see what courses are currently being offered.
Once you've completed the above certifications, you can apply online to work with us!
Further certifications to be completed during application and hiring process:
- High Five: Principles of Healthy Child Development
- Swim Academy Instructor
To find out more about becoming a lifeguard or swim instructor, talk to the aquatic staff at one of our pools or contact Matthew Logan at 604-983-6506 or by email.