For Immediate Release:
July 11, 2017
Live & Local Concerts & Culture Series in Full Swing
North Vancouver, B.C. North Vancouver Recreation & Culture (NVRC)’s 2nd annual Live & Local Concerts & Culture Series is underway featuring 33 free events in July & August at villages and plazas across North Vancouver.
Presented by local sponsor Darwin Construction, Live & Local brings together North Vancouver’s most popular concert series (formerly the Friday Night Summer Concerts) and new arts events to deliver an exciting cultural experience for families, residents and visitors all summer long. NVRC is also pleased to welcome TD Bank Group on as a major sponsor of the 2017 series and to welcome back the North Shore News as the series’ media sponsor. Their valuable sponsorship investment helps to grow the series providing more exciting cultural experiences for the community.
Live & Local Concerts
The streets and village plazas come alive on family-friendly Fridays in July and August with free live music and dancing at 17 concerts in neighborhoods of distinction: Edgemont, Lynn Valley and Deep Cove. Featuring music by new, emerging and accomplished performing artists, these community concerts showcase the best of home-grown talent in an exciting environment of celebration and community spirit. All concerts run on Friday evenings and start at 7:00pm.
Creative Arts & Culture Events
Building on its 20-year track record of offering quality outdoor cultural events, NVRC is presenting creative arts events at Parkgate Village, Lynn Valley Village and City Plaza throughout the summer. The 16 cultural events include musical performances, visual and crafty artistic experiences, dancing, and family fun nights. All culture events run from 6:00-8:00pm on Wednesdays and 5:00-7:00pm onThursdays.
Live & Local Line-up
Deep Cove, Panorama Park Concert Stage - Fridays, 7:00 - 9:00pm
- July 14 - R&B Conspiracy (Classic Rhythm & Blues)
- July 21 - Mostly Marley (Reggae)
- July 28 - The Dynamics (Classic Motown)
- August 4 - Nigel Mack & The Blues Attack (Blues / Rock)
Edgemont Village Concert Stage - Fridays, 7:00 - 9:00pm
- August 4 - Deanna Knight & The Hot Club of Mars (Swing / Jive)
- August 11 - Rich Hope and his Blue Rich Rangers (Country Soul)
- August 18 - Big City Soul (R&B / Soul)
- August 25 - Cayla Brooke (Jazz/Blues)
Lynn Valley Village Concert Stage - Fridays, 7:00 - 9:00pm
- July 14 - Smith and Jones (CCR / Classic Rock)
- July 21 - Terminal Station (Blues / Rock)
- July 28 - Platform Soul (Disco Funk)
- August 4 - VOC Sweet Soul Gospel Choir (Motown)
- August 11 - Gary Comeau and the Voodoo Allstars (New Orleans Roots and Blues)
- August 18 - Adam Woodall Band (Folk Rock)
- August 25 - West of Memphis (Country Rock)
Parkgate Plaza Culture Stage - Thursdays, 5:00 - 7:00pm
Parkgate Community Centre, 3625 Banff Court, North Vancouver
- August 3 - Party in the Plaza. Dancing with the Hoop Fairy, crafting and a night of percussion workshops.
- August 10 - Just Jive'n. Featuring The Beauty Shop Dolls & Jive dancing with David Marasigan.
- August 17 - First Welcome - Hych'ka. Arts, crafts, music & dance workshops with Presentation House Theatre and Mortal Coil Performance.
- August 24 - Latin Live. Creating summer heat with Afro-Cuban-Latin band Marlin Ramazzini.
Lynn Valley Culture Stage - Wednesdays, 6:00 - 8:00pm
Lynn Valley Village, 1277 Lynn Valley Road, North Vancouver
- July 12 - Celtic Kick Up. North Shore Celtic Ensemble & the Nora Pickett Dance Troupe.
- July 19 - Latin Live. Creating summer heat with Afro-Cuban-Latin band Marlin Ramazzini.
- July 26 - First Welcome - Hych'ka. Arts, crafts, music & dance workshops with Presentation House Theatre and Mortal Coil Performance.
- August 2 - Ballroom Bliss. Learn to Waltz and Cha Cha the night away with David Marasigan.
- August 9 - Party in the Plaza. A night of cheer with the youth Sm:)e Band and the Hoop Fairy!
- August 16 - Village Beat. Feel the rhythm of percussion and test out a variety of instruments with the Fairfield Music zoo.
- August 23 - Beauty Shop Dolls. This vintage vocal trio take on the sounds of the 1920's, 40's and 50's.
Civic Plaza Culture Stage - Thursdays, 6:00 - 8:00pm
City of North Vancouver Municipal Hall, 141 West 14th Street, North Vancouver
- July 13 - Music Makers. Be inspired by the Beauty Shop Dolls vintage vocal trio and be creators of your own music.
- July 20 - Celtic Kick Up. North Shore Celtic Ensemble & the Nora Pickett Dance Troupe.
- July 27 - Party in the Plaza. A night of cheer with the youth Sm:)e Band and the Hoop Fairy!
We recommend community members regularly check the NVRC website (nvrc.ca/liveandlocal) and social media feeds for updates on the day of the event including weather updates that may interrupt events.
Note: Photos available
For more information, contact:
North Vancouver Recreation & Culture
TEL: 604-983-6346 Email