The District of North Vancouver is pleased to announce that the new Lions Gate Community Recreation Centre (LGCRC) will open in early 2022 in the heart of the new Lions Gate Village.
Community members will be able to enjoy a range of recreation, education, arts & culture and social programs in this new facility operated by North Vancouver Recreation & Culture, with additional community services provided by Capilano Community Services Society and North Vancouver District Public Library.
The new centre features:
- Full-sized gymnasium with basketball, volleyball, badminton, and pickleball
- Multi-purpose spaces for a wide range of social, recreational and cultural activities
- Art studio
- Express Library operated by North Vancouver District Public Library (NVDPL)
- Community spaces, including a meeting room, ‘living’ room with comfortable seating areas, and a kitchen for gatherings, classes and group lunches
- District of North Vancouver owned public plaza with play spaces and outdoor seating
- Red Cross Health Equipment Loan Program (HELP) operated by Capilano Community Services Society
- Public art and public Wi-Fi
Construction of the new Lions Gate Community Recreation Centre (LGCRC) is scheduled to be completed in December 2021. Opening plans are in development with programs expected to start in early 2022.
Lions Gate Community Recreation Centre is located at 1733 Lions Gate Lane, in the heart of the new Lions Gate Village. The centre is located within the new LARCO residential development that is being built just west of Capilano Road, between Curling Road and Fullerton Avenue. The front doors of the centre face out to a new pedestrian friendly street and outdoor public plaza, which is being built between the north and south buildings of the new residential development.
Lions Gate Village will be a vibrant, pedestrian-oriented neighbourhood, with local-serving businesses, jobs, a community recreation centre, and a mix of housing options for residents at every stage of life.
Features of the new centre include:
- a full-sized gymnasium with basketball, volleyball, badminton, and pickleball
- multi-purpose spaces for a wide range of social, recreational and cultural activities
- an art studio
- An Express Library operated by North Vancouver District Public Library (NVDPL) providing a small browsing collection, book return facilities and public computer access. Includes a convenient Holds Pickup Locker for self-service pickup of library materials available from any full-service NVDPL location
- a Red Cross Health Equipment Loan Program (HELP) operated by Capilano Community Services Society (CCSS)
- community spaces, including a meeting room, 'living' room with comfortable seating areas, and a kitchen for gatherings, classes, and group lunches
- office space for community service groups
- a District of North Vancouver owned public plaza with play spaces and outdoor seating
- ability to rent the gymnasium, multipurpose rooms, boardroom
- a feature stairwell seating area doubling as a staircase to the 2nd floor and as seating
- Public art
North Vancouver Recreation and Culture (NVRC) will operate this District-owned facility, and will work with North Vancouver District Public Library (NVDPL) and Capilano Community Services Society (CCSS) to provide a wide array of recreation, cultural, and community services to the public.
Initial programming in 2022 will include programs for all ages including children, families, youth, adults and seniors. There will also be a range of free and low cost activities. NVRC, NVDPL and CCSS will develop additional offerings that serve the needs of neighbourhood residents. A full list of initial programs is included below.
LGCRC will be the new home for Capilano Community Services Society (CCSS), which is currently located in the north building of the former Delbrook Community Recreation Centre (Old Delbrook). They will provide a wide range of programs and services for children and families, youth, and seniors. CCSS will also continue to operate the Red Cross Health Equipment Loan Program (HELP) out of the new centre.
North Vancouver District Public Libary's (NVDPL) Express Library at Lions Gate Community Recreation Centre is a boutique library service featuring a collection of the latest in new and popular materials! The NVDPL Express Library will also feature Holds Pickup Locker, allowing patrons to place holds for material from any NVDPL location online and conveniently pick them up during their visit to LGRC. Library staff will be available to provide assistance with selecting material, getting a library card, signing up for a library program, and more. Laptops are available for cardholders for use in the living room, or patrons can access digital resources on a mobile device using free public Wi-Fi.
Express Library staff will be available to assist during Library hours, which are different from LGCRC hours. Holds pickup and a book return will be available when the Centre is open, but the Express Library is closed. NVDPL will also hold some library programs and events at the centre.
LGCRC has a number of community office spaces. A number of community organizations will occupy office space at the centre including North Shore Restorative Justice Society, North Shore Keep Well Society and Lionsview Seniors Planning Society.
Other community groups will also be able to rent spaces in the centre for meetings, activities and events.
There is free underground parking with 55 parking stalls designated for the Lions Gate Community Recreation Centre including a number of accessible parking stalls electric vehicle charging stations. Patrons will also have access to additional general visitor parking for the residential complex.
Local residents are also invited to use active transportation by walking, cycling and/or taking public transit to visit the centre.
Sport & Gymnasium
These will include book-a-visits and multi-week learn to sport programs.
• Adult Pickleball, badminton, basketball and volleyball
• School Age Soccer
• School Age Basketball
• Sport groups and club rentals
• Parent participation play time for children under 5
• Open gym for 8+years
• Martial arts
These will include book-a-visit fitness classes and multi-week fitness programs. Note LGCRC does not have a weight room.
• Yoga Fusion
• Cardio Dance FusionStretch Flow
• Early Years Parent Participation Art
• Watercolour, acrylic, painting
• Mixed media
• Print making
• Textile art
• Video game art
• Family, youth and adult paint nights
• Open studio time for adults and youth (unsupervised)
• Early Years Dance
• After School Club 6-12yrs
• NVRC Babysitter Training / Home Alone
• Spring Break and Summer Camps
Capilano Community Services Society Programs:
• Farsi Speaking Coffee Group
• Senior's Social Paint Club
• My Lions Gate Break
• Craft Circle
• Men's Group
• Social Peer-Prep
• Last Friday Movie Club
• Last Friday Games
• Community Lunch
• Seniors socials
• Youth Leadership and Advisory Committee
• After School Programs
• Preteen Drop-in
• Peer Tutoring
• Youth Drop-in
• Youth 18-24 years Employment and Job Search Skills Workshops and Drop-in
• Youth Jam Night/Games night (March)
• Music and art programs for health and wellbeing
• Food Skills for Families Teen Chef program
FAMILIES AND CHILDREN
• Infant/Child Health and Wellbeing Workshops
• Family Cooking programs
• Drop-in Socialization/ Play Group for Newcomers for infants to 5 year olds
• Free Play and Atelier for 3 to 5 year olds with parenting skills workshops/education
• Community lunch and learn program
Note: all of the above Families and Children programming is offered for children with family members remaining in attendance.
North Vancouver District Public Library (NVDPL) Programs:
NVDPL programs at LGCRC will be scheduled in the future. To learn more and register for in-person and virtual programs offered by NVDPL, visit www.nvdpl.ca/events/calendar