Lions Gate Community Recreation Centre (LGCRC) offers a range of recreation, education, arts and culture, and social programs in this new facility operated by North Vancouver Recreation & Culture, with additional community services provided by Capilano Community Services Society and North Vancouver District Public Library.
Lions Gate Community Recreation Centre is located at 1733 Lions Gate Lane, in the heart of the new Lions Gate Village. The centre is located just west of Capilano Road, between Curling Road and Fullerton Avenue. The front doors of the centre face out to a new pedestrian-friendly street and outdoor public plaza.
There is free underground parking with 55 parking stalls designated for LGCRC including a number of accessible parking stalls and electric vehicle charging stations. Patrons also have access to additional general visitor parking for the residential complex.
Local residents are also invited to use active transportation by walking, cycling, rolling and/or taking public transit to visit the centre.
The new centre features:
- Full-sized gymnasium with basketball, volleyball, badminton and pickleball
- Multi-purpose spaces for a wide range of social, recreational and cultural activities
- Art studio
- Express Library operated by North Vancouver District Public Library (NVDPL) providing a small browsing collection, book return facilities and public computer access. Includes a convenient holds pick-up locker for self-service pick-up of library materials from any full-service NVDPL location
- Red Cross Health Equipment Loan Program (HELP) operated by Capilano Community Services Society (CCSS)
- Community spaces, including a meeting room, 'living room' with comfortable seating areas and a kitchen for gatherings, classes, and group lunches
- Office space for community service groups
- Gymnasium, multipurpose rooms and boardroom available to rent
- Feature stairwell seating area doubling as a staircase to the second floor
- Public art
- Free wi-fi
- District of North Vancouver-owned public plaza with play spaces, a stage and outdoor seating
Lions Gate Community Recreation Centre is a smaller, neighbourhood community recreation centre that is intended to function as a central gathering place for people living in the area. It was designed to complement the other community recreation centres, amenities and services available in North Vancouver.
North Vancouver Recreation and Culture (NVRC) operates this District-owned facility, and works with North Vancouver District Public Library (NVDPL) and Capilano Community Services Society (CCSS) to provide a wide array of recreation, cultural, and community services to the community.
This includes programs for all ages including children, families, youth, adults and seniors including a range of free and low-cost activities. NVRC, NVDPL and CCSS will develop offerings that serve the needs of neighbourhood residents. A snapshot of current programs is included below.
Capilano Community Services Society (CCSS) provides a wide range of programs and services for children and families, youth, and seniors. Visit their website at www.capservices.ca to see their current programs and services.
CCSS also operates the Red Cross Health Equipment Loan Program (HELP) out of LGCRC.
- Farsi Speaking Coffee Group
- Senior's Social Paint Club
- My Lions Gate Break
- Craft Circle
- Men's Group
- Social Peer-Prep
- Last Friday Movie Club
- Last Friday Games
- Community Lunch
- Seniors socials
- Youth Leadership and Advisory Committee
- After School Programs
- Preteen Drop-in
- Peer Tutoring
- Youth Drop-in
- Youth 18-24 years employment and job search skills workshops and drop-in
- Youth Jam Night/Games night
- Music and art programs for health and wellbeing
- Food skills for families
- Teen chef program
Families & Children
- Infant/Child health and wellbeing workshops
- Family cooking programs
- Drop-in socialization/play group for newcomers, for infants to 5 year olds
- Free play and atelier for 3 to 5 year olds with parenting skills workshops/education
- Community lunch and learn program
Note: all of the above Families and Children programming is offered for children with family members remaining in attendance.
North Vancouver District Public Library's (NVDPL) Express Library at LGCRC is a boutique library service featuring a collection of the latest in new and popular materials. The Express Library features a holds pick-up locker, allowing patrons to place holds online for material from any NVDPL location and conveniently pick them up at LGCRC. NVDPL also holds library programs and events at the centre.
Library staff are available to provide assistance with selecting material, getting a library card, signing up for a library program, and more during library hours which are different from LGCRC hours. Holds pickup and a book return are available when the centre is open, but the Express Library is closed.
Laptops are available for cardholders for use in the living room, or patrons can access digital resources on a mobile device using free public wi-fi.
Check out NVDPL's events calendar to find NVDPL programs at LGCRC.
LGCRC has a number of community office spaces occupied by North Shore Restorative Justice Society, North Shore Keep Well Society and Lionsview Seniors Planning Society.
Other community groups are able to rent spaces in the centre for meetings, activities and events.
Join a fitness class or registered program at Lions Gate Community Recreation Centre - use the Activity Search tool to see programs and fitness classes.
Sport & Gymnasium
This includes book-a-visits and multi-week learn to sport programs.
- Adult pickleball, badminton, basketball and volleyball
- School-age soccer
- School-age basketball
- Sport groups and club rentals
- Parent participation play time for children under 5
- Open gym for 8+years
- Martial arts
This includes book-a-visit fitness classes and multi-week fitness programs. LGCRC does not have a fitness centre.
- Yoga Fusion
- Cardio Dance Fusion
- Stretch Flow
- Early Years Parent Participation Art
- Watercolour, acrylic, painting
- Mixed media
- Print making
- Textile art
- Video game art
- Family, youth and adult paint nights
- Open studio time for adults and youth (unsupervised)
- Early Years Dance
- After School Club 6-12yrs
- Babysitter Training / Home Alone
- Spring Break and Summer Camps