This commissioned sculpture was originally part of the rejuvenation plan for Lower Lonsdale area. It was a companion piece to the artwork North Shore Rhapsody, that envisioned the history of North Vancouver expressed in musical form. However due to weather damage the large of the two works was moved indoors.
Joe Bustemente Trumpet was eventually moved as well, from its orginal location at Rodgers Plaza, to the Pier Waterfront, a location where Mr. Bustemente may have often stood. He was a one armed Chilean mariner, retained in the early 1900's by the local ferry company to blow his trumpet to direct the ship captains to the North Vancouver wharf at night or when it was foggy. The sculpture has been fitted with a sound component that plays snippets of trumpet music that would have been popular at that time.