We offer unstructured time at many NVRC gymnasiums for people to drop-in for a game of pick-up or practice their favourite sport through rally play or casual games.
There are open gym times for anyone age 8 or over, youth ages 10 to 15 years old, and families with children ages five to 13.
All players must follow NVRC’s Sport Code of Conduct (see below) to ensure fair play and respect are used in this shared, unsupervised space.
What is allowed during open gym time?
- Ball sports: basketball, volleyball, football, soccer
- Net sports without a net
- Casual rally play, skill practice and pick-up games
What is not allowed during open gym time?
- Nets, baseballs, lacrosse balls, hockey sticks
- Sports that requires a helmet
- Equipment set-ups
- Pre-organized group/coaching (such as teams, individual coaching or birthday parties)
Go to the book an indoor space page if you would like to rent a gymnasium for a private event.
- Pay before you play. Please check-in with the front desk before heading to the gymnasium.
- Wear the wristband provided by the front desk.
- Check the open gym schedule on our website before coming to the centre as we are always updating open gym availability.
- Open gym is included with a NVRC fitness membership. Otherwise open gym admission fees apply.
- Each gymnasium has a limited capacity and wristbands are given out first-come, first-served.
- Open gyms are a shared space and all participants are welcome.
- Players are expected to self-organize and welcome others to play or join their sport of choice where possible (due to safety reasons some sports are not playable during open gym).
- Badminton and pickleball court booking times are available at other dedicated times.
- Squash and racquetball courts are reserved for squash and racquetball court booking times only.
- Family Open Gym 5-13yrs or Parent Participation Playtime 0-5yrs options are available for families with children under 8 years old. Children under 8 years old must be accompanied by a guardian age 12 or older.
- Bring your own balls, birdies and racquets.